Friday, September 23, 2011

Jump Off Rock - Sunrise to Sunset - Romeo and Juliet

For those of you who would like to see the route. It runs about 15 miles with spectacular views along the way.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/116302451


Officially open from sunrise to sunset, Jump Off Rock is a visual work of art that is "Must See TV" anytime of day any time of the year. I made it my personal project to ride my mountain bike to the top of Jump Off soon after we started spending long weekends in Hendersonville. Tess and I had Pilgrimed to the pinnacle several times while here on vacation but now it was mine for the taking every weekend and I did not want to disappoint.
Last year I became obsessed with the Sunset. Every evening as the sun started it's decent I started my ascent to the top. Have you ever seen a bad sunset? Neither have I, but some are more spectacular than others. So resulting from my numerous treks and thousands of exposures I captured a few worth sharing.
By the same token, each and every ride to the top of the mountain, about 5 miles and about 1100 feet, represents a few calories burned and dietary violations earned. So every ride is a decision and every ride is unique but yesterdays ride stands out.


 Yesterday I had postponed the decision several times... it's cloudy, it's rainy... it's getting too late but... I put my bike suit on. Now even if you have no fashion sense at all and I don't, you really can't anywhere in that get up except on your bike. As it turns out my neighbors, whom I will refer to a Romeo and Juliet, were just in the right moment to grab their bikes and go. So off we went. R&J know the area much better than I so they chose a more adventurous rout via Davis Mountain Road. Instead of a steady uphill slog to the top, this route took us up, down and all around the mountain. We eventually cut left off of Hebron back into Laurel Park, crisscrossed Laurel Park Hyway on Essoawah onto Roberts Drive and Orchard Drive on our way home. R&J set the pace for me and for each other. I call them R&J affectionately because of their devotion to each other and their mutual devotion to living a healthy, active and adventuresome life together and that, my friends, is True Love.
Well it's another day, the sun has started to illuminate the possibilities so before the excuses set in... it's too cold, too hot, too wet or too dry or the bottom line, am I going to be too damn lazy to get going? So this minute I'm putting the zoot suit back on and start peddling. See you later. Oh, and Yes Honey P&T are the Original R&J.

No comments:

Post a Comment