Monday, September 26, 2011

Geocaching at Lake Julian and Biltmore Estates

 I have had a GPS device for several years now and I would say for starters that the Garmin Nuvi or just "Nuvi" as we came to call her, was indispensable for finding ones way around. Yet in this day of high tech revolution what is here today is quite literally gone tomorrow and so the Droid replaced the Garmin as the dashboard Genie providing both directions and communications with the home team. None the less the GPS system, regardless of it's device, is irretrievably indispensable and one manifestation of the GPS phenomenon is something called Geocache. Geocaching, from a layman's point of view, is an Easter egg hunt for adults. Geocaches are neatly hidden little capsules containing a record of who found them. Geocaching is a world wide phenomena of hiding and seeking these neat little stowaways. This Sunday we had the pleasure of visiting with a group of avid Geocachers at beautiful Lake Julian near Asheville NC. I will see if I can be a little more specific by leaving the coordinates. ( Lake Julian is a reservoir in Buncombe County in the state of North Carolina. The latitude and longitude coordinates for this reservoir are 35.4768, -82.5465 and the altitude is 2162 feet (659 meters).
 Anyway it was a great event drawing people from all over the country who competed in a Geocache hunt in Kayaks on the lake. This lovely couple won the competition, locating and recording all 7 geocaches and returning to the pavilion first.


As I said I am a complete novice, but the excitement felt like being in the winning episode of the Amazing Race.
The next day I headed back out to Biltmore Estate to see if I could locate a few of these geochaces myself and  am quite proud to say that I did. Geocaching is a great sport enjoyed by thousands of people. If you are interested in joining the adventure log into http://www.ncmageocachers.com/ to learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment