Saturday, July 30, 2022

Our generation music 2

 Fast songs!

When it came to music there were basically two types: slow songs or fast songs. There may have been more but, especially on the dance floor, nothing else mattered. So when it came to fast songs I’ll narrow it down to three. The Duke of Earl by Gene Chandler https://youtu.be/h6Uht69h8Is, Do you love me by the Contours https://youtu.be/uRsoWlYMO-4  and probably the greatest song of all time… Louie Louie by The Kingsmen https://youtu.be/xKt75jUuKJY . Not that anyone else will ever read this but go ahead, name some better songs. Once I learned how to play the guitar, yes barely, but once I figured it out I came to realize that almost every great song in Rock and Roll or Country is based upon the transition of three or four Chords. Namely C, F and G. Louie Louie: CCC, FF, GGG, FF or for a slow song throw in an A minor. In the Still CCC of the the Night A Minor, Darlin I held you F, Held you so tight G. Million and millions of dollars made learning how to mix up those chords with just the right poetic thoughts.

I don’t remember how I got to canteen or the names of any of the girls I danced with but I do remember the music. But as meaningful as those songs were and are they would soon give way to a whole new genre. A whole new way of dressing, talking, thinking and seeing ourselves, not as kids but as a whole new generation. The generation. The Baby Boomers! Every song on the radio, advertisement on TV, every TV show for that matter started catering to us. And to kick things off Ed Sullivan introduced us to The Beatles!



No comments:

Post a Comment