Sunday, October 9, 2011

Big Rock and Cedar Rock Trails @ Dupont Forest


Whether traveling by Quadruped or Biped as long as you are not on a Moped, DuPont National Forest has Trails for you. As a child I had taken several horseback riding lessons and loved it but never took the horse beyond the gated enclosure and the one hour time limit. My dream, as it were, was to take my trusted steed on a long gallop across the countryside and deep into the woods where we could traverse the trails and streams at our own pace exploring natures bounty with no limit. I eventually traded in my equestrian fantasy for a mountain bike and I'm quite satisfied but when I came upon this family of horsemen I had to congratulate them for Living the Dream!





DuPont Forest has something for everyone. The serenity of a mountain top view, the challenge of world class biking trails and the solace of a walk in the woods. DuPont caters to every desire in the great outdoors without having to travel far away from home. 
 Today I returned to Big Rock Trail on my mountain bike. I parked at Cornmill Shoals, crossed Cascade Lake Dr. to enter the forest and turned a sharp left to begin the trek to the bald faced rock surfaces at the top where Big Rock meets Cedar Rock. I had to walk the first quarter mile or so up the very rocky path but the terrain does change to ridable dirt paths and opens to beautiful rock faces pocked by eons of rain wear. Having reached the pinnacle and stopping for a few minutes to catch my breath and take in the view I began the even more cautious trip back down. As anyone who has had any hiking or biking experience may tell you, the uphill battle has it's own challenges of footing and fatigue but one must never relax an the way down because it is precisely within those moments if you let your mind wander (thinking that the worst is over) that you can suddenly gain enough momentum to cause yourself to to tumble face forward. But, as you may have surmised by this point, I survived both ways and lived to tell about it and personally recommend The Big Rock Trail and all of the 90 miles of trails in DuPont Forest.




No comments:

Post a Comment