Friday, January 5, 2024

Taylor Alison Swift

 


Taylor Swift is a phenomenon… I mean yes, now she’s incredibly famous with millions of devoted fans called Swifties but don’t think that fame somehow makes her less. Every true poet wants to say the words that somehow capture and then somehow move others. Every street singer wants to move indoors and every coffeehouse singer wants a stage. They want people to listen. They want people to hear them. I think there’s an attitude among some that holds that real artists don’t aspire to be known, that real art is never really appreciated by the masses and somehow that if art is commercially successful, it is no longer art. Well all I know is that I’ve been inspired for many years by the people who are able to experience the feelings we feel but then capture those feelings with just the right words. Then they have the power to also recreate those feelings in others. Words that make me say, oh my god, I felt that way. I know that feeling I wanted to say that too. The big difference, the huge difference and the deciding difference is that they did it and I didn’t. I’ve tried… maybe not hard enough or long enough but I always came up empty and so that’s why now I simply tip my hat and stand in awe of those people who have the gift and use it well.  At age 75 I see this child turned woman as one of those special people who bring light into this world. I never would have seen her in a coffee house or the street corner so I’m very glad she also became famous. She’s not my generation. Not Paul or George or John, our role models, but she is inspiring her own generation and it’s a beautiful thing to see.

I’m watching a documentary and learned about another one on Netflix titled Miss Americana.



Tess loves music too and together Tess and I have followed several talents including Sting, Annie Lenox, Bon Jovi and Pink. They brought more than entertainment to our lives they defined moments for us and gave us texture, purpose and meaning. If I couldn’t think of something to say, they said it. If I couldn’t quite express my feelings they expressed it. Billy Joel, in one verse explained everything I ever wanted to say; I don’t want clever conversation, I never want to work that hard. I just want someone that I can talk too. I love you just the way you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment