Friday, February 17, 2012

Carl Sandburg - Big Glassy Benchmarks

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle.

In order to lose weight I know I need to eat less and exercise more.


There is no genius in knowing that. The genius is in Doing It! So taking a hint from the Swoosh people Just Do It! until it becomes a Habit.


Walking to the top of Big Glassy at the Carl Sandburg Home in Flat Rock is a very enjoyable and very doable exercise habit. I decided I would do it every day and so far so good for the past few days.



It's about 4 miles round trip, elevation gain of 900 feet, takes about 90 minutes and burns about 1000 calories. According to a Calorie Calculator I found on line I need 2200 a day to maintain my weight and less to lose. This tells me that each walk helps me lose a little weight each day. And If I eat less, I will lose more.





When I was first diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes at age 58 I started eating a veggie combo of Yellow Squash, Onions and Tomatoes. Let that melt down in a covered pan on the stove top, throw in some spinach and garlic for extra zing and it's pretty darn good! It also melted away the pounds and the coresponding blood sugars. Diabetes... Under Control.


At 63 I've been down to 155 lbs (blood glucose Low) and back up to 168 lbs (blood glucose High). Habits need periodic boosters. Last year I had my daughters wedding to motivate me. This year it's my expanded belt buckle and Carl Sandburg.


I take the 1.5 hours per day to walk the Big Glassy Trail. The numerous strategic benches provide rest for the weary along the way with a beautiful view at the top.



This beautiful vista gives one cause to stop and think and to sort out the true values in life. To live in peace and harmony with nature and to participate in it's splendor just a few minutes each day.


And That's a Good Habit to Have!




No comments:

Post a Comment