Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Hub - Scott Metrix 10 - Fletcher Flyer - Metric Century

The Scott Metrix 10
Floats Like a Feather

and
Solid as a Rock!


 That is how I will describe
the sensation of buying and riding my new Scott Metrix 10. The Guys at The Hub in Pisgah Forest really know their stuff.


 Owner, Technician, Consultant and Bar Tender, Sam Salman was extremely knowledgeable and helpful without ever applying sales pressure.
I studied the spec sheets on competing bikes, Specialized, Trek and Giant I had nearly decided upon the Norco FBR1, a Flat Bar Road Bike. Sam quickly looked it up on his computer and said he could have it for me (in my correct frame size!) by the following week.

 I was Sold!... but not so fast, I took another look at Scott Bicycles. Scott dates back to 1958 when Ed Scott revolutionized skiing by inventing the first aluminum ski pole. In 1998 Scott introduced one of the most significant product innovations in the history of cycling-the aerodynamic handlebar. Used by Greg Lemond to win the Tour de France.



Scott is responsible for numerous other innovations through the years producing a comprehensive line up of Mountain Bikes and light weight Road Bikes. Scott makes a great bike, I was told by a couple of well respected local riders and as my wife Tess pointed out, "the Suisse make the highest quality watches". Enough said, I took the plunge and not 5 days later I was sitting at the bar, sipping on a draught beer and watching while Chris handcrafted the assembly of my new ride. He and Jonathan made subtle adjustments to bar and seat to fit me to a tee. I admit I was more excited than a kid at Christmas. I wheeled my bike out of the shop and right onto the road, deftly speeding through the Fletcher Trail, into Pisgah Forest and returning to the Hub via 276.
Perfect!

Three days later on Sunday June 1st I was lining up at Oskar Blues Brewery to start in the Fletcher Flyer Metric Century 



The overcast sky quickly turned to rain and sustained a cooling  steady mist throughout the morning.



My first long ride on my Scott Metrix 10


was thrilling and exhilarating!

I had mapped out the route on Ride with GPS with turn by turn voice directions. I found myself in the midst of the pack and actually passing people while gliding up hills. Suddenly on my own, I depended on the voice commands while others stopped to study their cue sheets.

I pedaled with speed and exuberance self talking all the way. Maintain my Cadence, get up this Hill,
lean into the Turns, gain on the Straightaways, Stand to Stretch, Relax your Shoulders, you're almost Home!
The bike felt like a part of me, like an extension of my will. Floating like a Feather yet Solid as a Rock. I completed the 62 miles in 3 Hours and 56 Minutes moving time, averaging 16 mph.


Although this didn't set any land speed records, it was for me, a personal best and convinced me that the Scott Metrix 10 was a Great Recreational Investment by the end of a Great Bike Riding Day!

I returned to The Hub on Friday to report in on my initial success with the bike and added a few features: Ergon GP5 Handlebar Grips and Bar Ends, a phone holder and bright headlight all of which was installed on the spot by Jon and Pete, then I was off up 276 to Pisgah Inn for my second long ride of the week.



No comments:

Post a Comment