Monday, April 16, 2012

Art Loeb Trail - First Trip



After Lauren and Sam camped out in the Shining Rock Wilderness  Area I decided I needed to learn about it myself. So I ventured out to Black Balsam Knob Road, Canton, NC (you can insert that into Google Maps to Find and Navigate there) and 45 minutes later I was venturing onto the Art Loeb Trail

The initial climb is a little steep and very rocky but not really too strenuous and it quickly brings you to some beautiful 360 degree panoramic views. Although in the heart of Pisgah Forest and minutes off the Blue Ridge Parkway, the scenery made me feel like I was somewhere in rolling hills of Loch Lomond. You are never really in a forest but rather traversing a series of grassy hills and rock faced knobs and outcroppings high stepping in a rutted trail that is often 12 to 16 inches deep. 
The wind was strong and steady and a nippy chill in the air that had not been the case when I left home less than an hour ago.
I met this hearty couple who were here to celebrate their  anniversary. Although I don't know how many years they have shared, I know that this anniversary, in the majestic beauty of these hills, is golden.
I stopped by Looking Glass Falls on the way home. All in All a very Glorious Day and all less than an hour away!




No comments:

Post a Comment