Tuesday, July 2, 2024

These are the two prayers I grew up with

 These are the two prayers I grew up with, The Lords Prayer and Now I lay me down to sleep.

Mom and or Dad would put us to bed every night and we would recite these prayers together. It would go like this

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep 

If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take

God bless Mommy, God bless Daddy, God bless Linda, God bless…


The list would go on but Now I lay me would always end with 

And God bless Everybody in the Whole Wide World… Amen

Then dad would say good night and go downstairs and as he reached the bottom of the stairs he would start this refrain;

Dad would say,  See

And We would say, You

Dad would say, In

We would say,  The

Dad would say, Mor

We would all say -  Ning! 😇


It would make going to bed every night less of a struggle and more fun.

I said it with my children, Linda said it with her children and sometimes even now I might say it to myself.





No comments:

Post a Comment