Sunday, May 5, 2024

Eric

In Loving Memory of Eric Train
October 23, 1969 – March 13, 2013
We are joined here today to honor the memory of Eric our beloved son, brother, father and
friend.
His gifts to each of us are reflected in the very fact of our being here and I thank all of you for
being with us now.
I do not presume to unravel or explain the complexities of life or answer any of the burning
questions that all of us have. My place is very simply to be thankful for the time we have
together and to be reminded from time to time just how precious and how fragile life is.
Eric was a perfectionist living in an imperfect world. He was the smartest, funniest, kindest and
caringest person we knew. Eric had a love for nature and our environment. He had compassion
for people and passion for fairness. In his games of cowboys and Indians he was the Indian. He
learned about the animals of the forest and the fishes of the sea. He knew every kind of shark by
its genus and species right down to its teeth. In the world of dogs he knew every breed by its
color and coat, by its traits and its talents. Eric knew every canine breed from Akita to Shih tZu
and for years I thought he might want one of each and he did have quite a few. From Pasha the
Siberian to his Great white Pyrenees, a Tibetan Mastiff and two Pit bulls, he could name them
all with ease. He loved Chester our dachshund and Chance our cocker but most of all he loved
his golden retriever Keeshe. He picked Keeshe out from the litter in Clinton SC. It was a very
special day in our lives. Keeshe looked like all the others but he retrieved Eric's keys, unaware
this was a test, but in that moment he won Eric's heart and they would forever be friends.
And among those other true friends are many of you sitting with us here today. And I know you
sit in stillness and I know you wonder why. And I offer up no answers but I know your lasting
friendships were very strong, very true and very real. John and Mike and Brent and Steven,
these were the names we knew so well and You were all part of a great adventure living in
Vanderbilt Hills. These were happy happy days of riding bikes and playing ball. Happy days of
being kids of being filled with piss and vinegar, energy and pure joy. I wish those days would
last forever, I wish we could go back in time but that's what memories are for. That's what
memories are for.
If any of you would like to share a story. I'd love you to take this time to share. Like the time
y'all got the Honda wagon stuck in the creek and even the tow truck could not get it out.
Of all the kids in the old neighborhood and Eric loved you all. In our eyes he was strongest,
smartest, funniest and coolest kid of all.
God bless Eric for all his strength and weakness too, in his sadness and his joy, he is part of me
and part of you. For bringing Aaron and Laura, Abby and Lenna into our lives. Aaron your
father loved you much more than words could ever say. He guarded and protected you and
wanted the best in every way. And Lenna he admired your strength and knows you are college
bound. So to Aaron and Lenna please know that you are loved and live each day with optimism,
hope and confidence newly found.
I ask that we hold each other's hands and reach out to each other's heart. For in each of us Eric
lives on and today is our fresh start.
Recitations:
The Serenity Prayer
God grant us serenity
To accept things we cannot change
Courage to change the things we can
And wisdom to know the difference
The LORD Is My Shepherd
A Psalm of David.
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul:
he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever
Amen

The Lord's Prayer
Our Father who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name;
Thy kingdom come
Thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us;
And lead us not into temptation

But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom
The Power and the Glory
Forever and ever Amen


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment